|Starting Your Project With Success: Project Management - in person||29.11.2023 09:30 - 17:00 (Wed)||Dahlem Research School, Hittorfstr. 16, Room 001||Wichert, Amanda|
Before booking a workshop, please make sure that you can attend for the entire duration and save the dates. When participants do not show up or cancel on a very short notice, other interested parties are denied a chance to participate.
For doctoral researchers of all disciplines. This workshop is designed to present project management tools to academics and researchers working on a complex research project.
This workshop is designed to present project management tools to academics and researchers working on a complex research project (and is primarily designed for individual researchers with limited or no staffing resources). We'll explore project planning and how to break down the enormous task of the doctoral project into manageable pieces. In interactive activities with your peers, you’ll discover how using project management strategies can help you achieve your goals while staying motivated and maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
The Project Map: Foundations of a Successful Project
- What is project management?
- How can project management tools be useful to me (as an individual researcher)?
- What resources are available to me? Who is interested in the outcome of my project? How can I best use my resources – and how and when should I ask for help?
Planning Your Project
- How can I break my project into manageable tasks?
- How can I structure those tasks so that I feel like I'm moving forwards?
- What tools can I use to keep track of my project?
Managing a Running Project
- How can I keep my project on track?
- What is project controlling, and what aspects of project controlling are relevant to me as an individual researcher?
Project Risks: Navigating Project Delays
- How can I manage delays in advance and avoid unexpected extensions of my project deadline?
- What risks should I be aware of?
- What’s a good risk plan? How do I know which risks to create action plans for?
- How can I communicate with stakeholders (such as my supervisor) about my progress?
Effective Time Management: Keeping the Project Running
- What strategies can I use to manage my time well and keep myself on track (while maintaining a good work-life balance)?
- What time management methods work well for me? How can I keep myself from getting lost in the sea of time management tools?
- Which digital tools might be useful, and how can I make sure that I’m using digital tools in an effective way?
Celebrating Successes: Motivation
- How can I identify my successes? Why is it important to celebrate my achievements?
- What do I do when I lose motivation? How can strong project goals keep me on track?
- What steps can I take to foster motivation? What resources will help me when I get stuck?
- How can I encourage myself to keep going when things get difficult?