|Goodbye Academia? (Natural & Life Sciences)||24.01.2019 09:00 - 17:00||Silberlaube, Thielallee 38, Room T121||Dr. Gramlich, Philipp|
|Goodbye Academia? (Natural & Life Sciences)||25.01.2019 09:00 - 17:00||Silberlaube, Thielallee 38, Room T121||Dr. Gramlich, Philipp|
Advanced doctoral candidates and postdocs of the Natural and Life Sciences
Have you enjoyed research and teaching in the past years, but now you think it is time to change? Maybe you are not sure yet whether to stay in academia or not, but would like to learn more about other possibilities before making any decision? In this course, which has been specifically developed for PhD students and postdocs in the natural sciences, we will not only broaden your view about everything you can do with your qualification, but also give you practical tips on how to reach your personal goals.
Introspection: making plans based on a closer look at yourself
- We ask after your own strengths, interests and values.
- How to get on track? Changing professional directions
- Plan B: strategies to prevent a professional dead-end streets
Explore: career options for life scientists within ...
- The private sector
- The higher education system
- Governmental institutions
- Patent law
- As freelancer
- Consultancies and many more
Applying for jobs:
- Differences job applications academia vs. private sector
- Recruiters, job ads and open applications: your paths to your job
- Useful tips for the job interview and for salary negotiations
- Expanding and keeping your network
- Address tricky questions with strategic networking
- Networking for introverts
- Social media
Special emphasis can be given to topics related to reconciliation of family and career as well as gender-specific communication and gender-specific challenges in the job.
Interactive discussions, case studies, experience-oriented game-like activities, practically oriented activities and scenarios, short presentation phases, development of concepts in plenary, individual or small group work.
Participants will receive a book (132 pages A5) as handout for further reading.
Course Fee (in EUR):
Dr. Philipp Gramlich